"Entebbe" in a local language means a "seat" and was probably named that because it was the place where the Buganda chief sat to adjudicate legal cases. It first became a British colonial administrative and commercial centre in 1893 when Sir Gerald Portal, a colonial Commissioner used it as a base, Port Bell went on to become Kampala harbor. Although no ships dock is there now, there is still a wreckage which was used by Lake Victoria ferries.
Entebbe perhaps has been known to Europeans as the home of International Airport as the main International Airport of Uganda which was opened in 1929. It was also this airport that Queen Elizabeth II departed Africa to return to England in 1952 when she learned of her father’s death and that she had become Queen.
• Home of the history site in kigungu where the first catholic missionaries Brother Amans and father Mon Maple Lourdel landed to establish catholic faith in Uganda.
• Home of the oldest Golf Course in East Africa called Golf Club which was established in I900
• Entebbe is location of the Uganda wildlife Education Centre. The centre also serves as national zoo.
• Entebbe is the principle International Airport of Uganda. It is near the town of Entebbe town, on the shores of Lake Victoria and about 41kms from Kampala by road. The coordinates of the airport are 00000241”N 032026’35”E (latitude 0.044721: 32443055). The Headquarters of Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda are also located in anew block off the airport highway.
• National Botanical Gardens (Uganda)
The National Botanical Gardens of Uganda, commonly known as the Botanical Gardens Entebbe, is located in Entebbe, Uganda. They were laid out in 1898 by the first curator, A Whyte, close to the shores of Lake Victoria. The gardens are divided into different zones, including a rainforest zone. This rainforest formed the backdrop to scenes from the Tarzan films featuring Johnny Weissmuller, shot in the 1940s.
Uganda Virus Research Institute
The UVRI engages in health research pertaining to human infections and disease processes associated with or linked to viral a etiology and provides expert advice, enables partnerships and communication and serves as a center for training and education.
UVRI, an agency for environmental health and protection, is always engages in emergency preparedness. We are home to several national and international references and specialized testing laboratories. We are involved in regulation and policy development and continuous quality improvement and perform as a disease prevention, control and epidemiology center.
UVRI conducts public health related research. The Institute’s programmatic activities currently comprise of the following areas:
• Basic research
• Applied research (intervention, diagnostics, clinical, operational)
• Social / economic research
• Capacity building through infrastructure and human resource development.
• Advice for regulation, policy development and quality improvement
Drive to Imperial Resort Beach Entebbe
The best white sand beach in Uganda located on the shores of Lake Victoria adjacent to a beautiful five star hotel. You will walk the clean in water/sand along the best sand in Uganda as well la on the sand to sun bath. A tour in the caves along this beach some of which have been made into creative bars is rewarding due to their unique features, as this is done you will have lots of water bird some of which are scavengers to see as you enjoy the cool lake Victoria breeze.
Your Entebbe 1 day tour will end with a lake swim if desired or relaxation along the beach of Lake Victoria with native Ugandans or dive into the hotel`s Olympic size swimming pool to step up your physical fitness after a busy day finalized with a dance to Ugandan local tunes plus international tunes to warm your body as say buy the beach if it’s a weekend. Please note that a motor boat cruise can be arranged for you if interested in having a cruise on Lake Victoria. This tour ends between 6:00-8:00 pm(local time) according you will so when ready you will tell your guide to drive back to your hotel but he will remind you if it clocks 8pm.
For more enquiries send an email to [email protected]
DISCOVER THE BEST OF UGANDA WITH THIS UNIQUE TOUR! ENJOY THE FLEXIBILITY AND PERSONALIZED SERVICE OF A SMALL GROUP GUIDED TOUR WITH UNFORGETTABLE PRIMATE AND WILDLIFE ENCOUNTERS, CULTURAL INTERACTIONS AND OVERNIGHTS IN TRADITIONAL AND ADVENTUROUS SAFARI LODGES.